Saturday, March 20, 2010

Small-town nukes? Hey you guys, what's the big idea?

  Micro-nukes? That's the big idea?

I'm afraid..

(Illustration from March 2010 issue, copyright National Geographic)
Micro-nukes? That's the big idea?I'm afraid...
 (Illustration from  March 2010 issue, copyright National Geographic)Micro-nukes? That's the big idea?I'm afraid. Very afraid. On my birthday, which is supposed to be the first day of spring, I opened the March issue of National Geographic, my favorite magazine, only to find a pr
· Share
Mike Gallay
Mike Gallay
"With any of the new reactors, of course, there will still be radioactive waste to contend with." Aside from ending on a preposition, I too was cloaked by a feeling of dismay from that line. That's it? Now we're moving on to directing leery glances at regulators for not moving faster to put Mom and Pop nuke Shops on every corner?

I clicked theLike" option because I felt your review of the article was thoughtful and your take on it accurate. The article itself feels almost like an advertorial. Do the small-town nukes come with apple pie, Main Street and that wily Otis Campbell, the town drunk? I hope these machinations represent the one step backwards before the eventual two steps forward.
March 22 at 4:42pm
Rebecca Tobias
Rebecca Tobias
When this myopic concept hit the pavement several years ago members of the PSR and the LA Non-Nuclear Disarmament Dialogue made it a point to bring it to public forums to discuss its dangerous threat to the health and well-being of communities who would contemplate it in the future as a 'quick-fix' to our energy needs. How irresponsible of NatGeo ... See Moreto make garden shed sized reactors palatable to the masses, and to minimize the hard and fast possibilities that exist for us by harnessing power of the wind, sun and oceans. Corporations stand to gain, and in our relentless pursuit of comfort and immediacy I am afraid that many will fall prey to the lure of their offering unless we become empowered with knowledge and embrace fundamental lifestyle changes--just as you advocate for day in and day out. Thank you TH. Keep sharing your findings with us so we can learn to live in peace and harmony with our fragile, precious environment.
March 22 at 4:55pm · 
Thomas Henry Culhane
Thomas Henry Culhane
Mike, Rebecca -- your comments are as eloquent as they are appreciated. May I reproduce them on my blog so others can see them?
March 23 at 11:11pm · 
Rebecca Tobias
Rebecca Tobias
You bet TH--have you seen this insanity? Bill Gates is one of Toshiba's staunchest supporters, argh!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100323/ts_afp/japannuclearusgatescompanytoshiba_20100323053821
March 23 at 11:41pm · 
Mike Gallay
Mike Gallay
I'd be honoured
March 24 at 12:11am · 

No comments: